Laura DeSantisSpeaker Bio
Whether working in community mental health or private practice, you will see people from every sociocultural background who have experienced trauma. This workshop will go beyond the limitations of the DSM-5 diagnostic framework and explore the many ways trauma is experienced and expressed in adults. Participants will learn what happens to the brain during both acute and ongoing trauma, its impact on attachment and development, and how the psychological sequelae of trauma can manifest in the clinical setting. We will cover basic assessment strategies and review components of healing common to all trauma-informed therapies. Attendees will also develop practical interventions that can be applied immediately to their work, including affect and emotion regulation skills, grounding, and establishing safety.
- Addiction Counselors
- Social Workers
- Define and diagnose PTSD and Complex Trauma
- Identify the parts of the brain affected by various types of trauma and the resultant changes in structure and function
- Explain the impact of trauma on development and attachment
- Enumerate manifestations of trauma in behavior and intrapsychic experience
- Conceptualize the role of dissociation and shame
- Practice basic assessment strategies for trauma
- Practice basic interventions for trauma-focused therapy, including affect regulation, grounding, and establishing safety
- Identify main components of healing common to all trauma therapies
- Introduce themes around racial trauma, intergenerational trauma, and manifestations of trauma during the Covid-19 pandemic
This program has been approved for 5.0 continuing education clock hours by the Louisiana Counseling Association as authorized by the Louisiana Professional Counselor Licensing Board of Examiners.
This course has been approved by TPN.health, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #198061, TPN.health is responsible for all aspects of the programing. Counselor Skill Group: Counseling Services.
5.0 Credits – Click here to review Accreditation
Full Details: Learner Notification
TPN.health, #1766, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. TPN.health maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 03/31/2022 – 03/31/2025. Social workers completing this course receive 5 Clinical continuing education credits.