Zina Rodriguez, MSW, CDE, Presents
Can You See Us? Providing Culturally Competent Treatment to Persons of Color
June 3, 2021, 11:00am - 12:00pm CST
1 Cultural Competency CE Credit
This workshop is LIVE and INTERACTIVE!
Be prepared to have camera & microphone ON.
About the Workshop
Content Level: Beginner
The term, "I don't see color" is often used by individuals to describe their views on diversity but this phrase can be detrimental in therapeutic settings when treating persons of color. The ability for providers to "see" color allows for the development of culturally competent programming and the critical factor of developing a therapeutic alliance. Data shows that racial and ethnic minority groups are likely to experience limited access and poor engagement in substance use disorder treatment. "Seeing color" allows providers to acknowledge and address the complexity of barriers and issues facing individuals and families in need of mental health and substance use disorder treatment.
This workshop provides an overview of the prevalent issues impacting substance abuse disorders among marginalized and underserved communities, and presents information to help providers to understand cultural issues relevant to treating persons of color and examine how programs can develop processes to monitor and access efforts to incorporate cultural competency.
10:45am CST - Event Waiting Room Open
11:00am CST - Session Begins
11:45am CST - Q&A Period
12:00pm CST - Session Concludes
Note: Time designated for breaks cannot be counted toward CE credit
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Analyze current epidemiological data on substance use disorder treatment for racial and ethnic groups and identify at least two prevalent issues impacting treatment.
- Specify at least 3 ways that cultural competence enhances proficiency in clinical skills, programmatic development and administrative practices.
- Identify the four core competencies providers must have to effectively serve diverse patients, families and communities.
How to Register
Registration for the live event will end June 3, 2021.
To register for the workshop, you will need to complete the following steps:
- Click the "Register" button to begin the registration process.
- You MUST have a TPN.health profile to attend this event. You will be directed to sign up or sign in to TPN.health before being able to complete your registration. Once you sign up or sign in you will be directed to the workshop registration page to complete your registration.
- You MUST use the email address associated with your TPN.health profile at registration. This is an important step so we can verify attendance accurately.
- You will be able to access the event by visiting the "My Events" page within your TPN.health profile. Please access the event link at this page at least 15 minutes prior to the event's start time to be directed to the Zoom registration page.